Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Kiss Seen 'Round the World

Pretty much everyone has seen or heard about this photo by now. Some people hated it, some loved it. I admit, it still has me grinning like an idiot. Comments about it are everywhere, but I would still be remiss if I didn’t say something on the topic.

I think that for me, what this photo symbolizes is what the fight against Don’t Ask Don’t Tell was all about. It’s about not having the burden of having to hide who you are or how you feel about some when you care deeply about them. It’s about being able to have the same kind of relationship that everyone else can have. It’s about being able to have moments like this when, for the first time in months or years, you see that person that you love. It’s even more special given that, according to an interview this soldier (Brandon Morgan) and his partner (Dalan Wells) gave, it was their first kiss.

This Marine Sergeant just got home from risking his life, serving his country, and protecting our freedom. The least he deserves is to jump into the arms of the man he has loved for four years, not mention tons of respect.

Last, but certainly not least, I would like to take this opportunity to thank ALL servicemen and women (past and present) for protecting this country and what it stands for. I and all of us will forever be in your debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment