Monday, August 26, 2013

Neocon John Bolton Backs Marriage Equality


Bolton is seriously considering running for president. It was during an interview with the National Review about what political positions we could expect a Bolton campaign to espouse, that he let it be known he is now pro same-sex marriage. Bolton:
On gay marriage, I support it, at both the state level and the federal level. Gay marriage is something I’ve thought about at length as I’ve looked at my future. I concluded, a couple years ago, that I think it should be permissible and treated the same at both levels.”
The line that jumps out and does a tap dance in that announcement is “I’ve looked at my future.” I think Bolton has made the calculation that marriage equality will soon be necessary for political viability. He has studied the landscape of the next presidential contest and concluded by the time the 2016 election comes around, the voters will reward those who stand for gay equality and punish those who don’t.

Know what? If Bolton changed his position because he’s all about Bolton, and not out of a newfound empathy for the LGBT community, I’m ok with that. Nothing could spread LGBT equality faster than politicians who think it’s in their own best interest to embrace their inner gay. I hope Bolton’s way of thinking spreads through Washington. (There’s a sentence I never thought I’d write.) Because even if it is all about themselves, I’ll gladly welcome all the conservative trolls out from under the discrimination bridge and into the land of liberty and justice for all. (And maybe a little glitter on special occasions.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment