Friday, September 28, 2012

Jon Huntsman Evolves on Marriage

From Pride in Utah:
I think we can take that journey. We need to be having a conversation of how to take this journey…..where do we go, and each day we need to be able to do it differently. I came out at a time when it was most unpopular in the state of Utah many years ago…because I thought it was the right landing spot for people in my state, now the conversation may have been different in other states, but I find how can you move the equality forward in Utah and I thought at the time civil unions was the right place for this discussion to take place. maybe it goes beyond now….but at the time i at least wanted to put something on the table I thought spoke fairness and equality most immediately.

I think the Republican Party’s focus needs to be on equality. I go back and I think what would Abraham Lincoln be doing if he were here today. I think he would make the fundamentally American argument that Equality under the law is an American value. And it’s one that I stand for as well.

I remember thinking during the GOP presidential primary season (of which Jon Huntsman was a part) that he was one of the more sensible candidates. He did not subscribe to the demagoguery of candidates like Bachmann, Santorum, Gingrich,  Perry, et al. He had a level head and was able to see beyond ideology (him and Gary Johnson). While I have almost zero faith in anyone on the political right, Jon Huntsman was a light in the dark. I hope that in the fullness of time, he will be seen as a leader: someone who saw beyond the short scope of political expedience and had some foresight, leading the GOP towards being more inclusive and less regressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment