Thursday, September 22, 2011

Another Lost Life

I had decided earlier today that I was going to write something about Jamey Rodemeyer, a 14 year-old from Buffalo, New York who took his own life because of anti-LGBT bullying. To be honest however this incident, along with the fact that a year ago yesterday Tyler Clementi also took his life for the same reason, I find it to hard too accurately articulate how incredibly sad this whole thing is. I just find myself wondering how many kids, how many people in general have to die (whether by suicide or murder) before this country wakes up and realizes that all of this homophobia has to stop?

What scares me the most is that for each of these stories that hits the national news circuit, who knows how many fly under the radar. What pisses me off the most is that when these kids are killing themselves and each other because of homophobia, politicians and other public figures are spreading the hate that causes these deaths.

If there is any reason to fight against homophobia transphobia, and any other form of discrimination, this is it : TO SAVE LIVES!!! That is all of the motivation anyone should need.

No comments:

Post a Comment