Saturday, June 4, 2011

Perspective on Pride Month

Pride month is upon us. On my last post, I mentioned this and was asked if I thought it was necessary. I answered there in brief (well..semi-brief), but I think my opinion needs a bit more explanation.

First and foremost, yes. Pride month is necessary, as much so as Black History Month (February) or any such type of recognition period. It is important to bring attention to the issues that are still faced by the LGBT community from bullying to marriage rights and everything in-between. Sure we have come a long way in terms of rights that are recognized, but there are still many, many miles yet to go (down with DOMA). This month offers a huge opportunity to have those conversations. Secondly, pride month, again being about visibility, serves as a direct contrast to all of the years that members of the LGBT community had to hide who they truly were. Now that so many of us are out, we have no intention of being pushed back in or pushed around.

However, when it comes to certain pride events, especially pride parades, I think some can take it too far (of course the same could be said for most such situations and holidays). I won't tell anyone they shouldn't be who they are or have fun in these events (by all means, do both). Some people however may be giving our enemies fodder by taking the event to excess. The last thing we as a community need is to give the other side ammunition. Of course even if that were not the case, they would find something else to use, so maybe that concern is ill-founded.

Having said all of that, I do think it is important for everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE, gay, straight, or whatever) to go to at least one pride event at some point and hopefully, sooner rather than later, I will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment